Summer Academy Info
We are excited that you will be joining us for Summer Academy this year and wanted to share some vital information that previews events for new students, outlines expectations, and communicates information on needed forms.
The first day of Summer Academy is Monday, June 13 and the last day is Friday, July 1.
For New Students
- Incoming freshman and transfers will be able to pick up their Microsoft Surfaces prior to the start of Summer Academy.
- Students are responsible for having their Surface device set up and ready for the first day of Summer Academy as it is necessary for successful learning and participation in class
- All new students and families needed to attend the Summer Academy Orientation.
- Some of the topics covered during orientation include:
- Summer Academy Information
- Wheaton Academy classroom culture
- Introduction of Freshman Teachers
- Technology Training
- All new students will be required to complete a OnCampus training previous to the first day of Summer Academy. The details for this digital mini class will be communicated during Summer Academy Orientation.
- If you have never logged in to our OnCampus system, the portal that you used to apply to Wheaton Academy, please follow the directions below. Often, one parent has a login already and the other parent needs to create their own.
- Visit https://wheatonacademy.myschoolapp.com/app
- Click on the link that says “Forgot Login or First Time Logging In”
- You will then be asked what you want e-mailed to you – select both username and password
- When you log in, you will automatically be linked to your students.
- If you have any issues, please contact Angie Roberts at email@example.com.
Summer Academy Expectations
- All Students are expected to attend their class(es) according to their original registration.
- Virtual attendance for Summer Academy will not be possible unless there has been prior approval by Erin Carwell (Vice Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you are approved for virtual learning, you will receive zoom links for direct access to the class and will be expected to abide by the same guidelines as in-person students
- 2 absences allowed for extenuating circumstances
- More than 2 absences from class will be reviewed and could warrant removal from the class
- If your student will be unable to attend a day of Summer Academy, you must notify Erin Carwell (email@example.com) prior to the student’s absence or within 24-hours of the days missed
- If your student is sick, call the front office attendance line (630-562-7500).
- AM Classes start promptly at 8 AM and end at 12 PM
- PM Classes start promptly at 1 PM and end at 5 PM
- Day-Long Science classes start promptly at 8 AM and end at 4 PM
- Students should plan on 4 hours of engagement for AM or PM classes and 7-8 hours of engagement for the day long Science classes
- “Engagement” includes direct instruction, independent work, and 1-on-1 check ins or group work
- Class time will be a combination of direct instruction, independent work, and small group activities
- Students should plan on submitting work every day for class.
- A pattern of late work could warrant removal from the class
- The homework timeliness policy is in effect for Summer Academy
- Students will abide by the standards of the Human Dignity Policy as outlined in the Student Handbook.
- Lunch is from 12:00pm-1:00pm each day. Student can pick up their pre-ordered lunch in the Commons.
- Students may bring their own lunch, or preorder lunch through PushCoin, our school lunch payment app, if they would like a school lunch during Summer Academy
- For new freshman and transfers, you will receive a PushCoin code to set up and fund your account the week before Summer Academy.
- The deadline for preordering lunches is the Thursday evening before the following week of school. Lunch price is $6.50.
- Please click here for instructions regarding PushCoin set up and ordering.
- Our normal enrollment timeline requires all health forms located in your student’s Magnus account to be completed and submitted prior to the start of Summer Academy.
- Due to the current strain on the healthcare system, we understand that you may not be able to make timely appointments with your student’s physician in order to complete some of the health forms in Magnus prior to the start of Summer Academy.
- Due to these circumstances, we are making an exception this year regarding those forms.
- Please note these forms will need to be completed prior to the start of school or fall athletic try-outs in August.
- However, we do ask you complete the following electronic forms that you are able to complete before Summer Academy begins on June 9. These forms can be found in your student’s Magnus Health account.
- Vital Health Record
- Consent to Treat
- Parent Standards of Conduct
- Wheaton Academy Events Participation
- Student Driving/Riding Permission
- Permission for Over-the-Counter Medication
- Textbook Acquisition Requirement
- Your access to Magnus can be found through the home resource page of your parent OnCampus account.
Thank you so much for the opportunity to work with your child during Summer Academy, and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Brad Thornton, firstname.lastname@example.org
Erin Carwell, email@example.com
Summer Academy Administrator
Eric Bowling, firstname.lastname@example.org
Angie Roberts, email@example.com