October 11, 2019
No School, Offices Closed Monday, October 14
There will be no school and offices will be closed on Monday, October 14, in observance of Columbus Day.
WA Women’s Prayer
Tuesdays, October 15, 22, & 29
On Tuesdays, the WA Women’s Prayer Group meets from 1:15 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. on campus at Luz Vergara’s apartment, which is located in the Armour building. All women are invited. Contact Sarah Gieser or Claudia Fabela with questions.
WA Men’s Prayer
Saturday, October 12
White Alumni Chapel
On the second Saturday of each month, the men from the WA community meet to pray and hear from one of our WA employees. Please join us for prayer tomorrow, October 12, at 8:00 a.m. in the white Alumni Chapel. Our guest speaker for this month is Brian Hogan, WA’s Dean of Chapel & Spiritual Formation. Light refreshments are served.
PSAT Testing, Wednesday, October 16
Parents, please make a note of some important details for our October 16 PSAT testing date:
- Please make sure your student has a good breakfast that morning.
- Testing will occur from 9:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., and students will be dismissed after the testing.
- There will not be lunch available at WA this day due to the early dismissal.
- Students must bring two #2 pencils and a PSAT approved calculator .
- Students will not be able to check their cell phones for the entire time of the test (9:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m.).
- We cannot send a visitor to a classroom once the testing has begun.
- Students may have a drink or food snack in between testing sections if they pack this and bring it with them the day of the test. They would need to put it away under their desks at the end of each break. There will not be lunch provided during the time of the test. So, snacks are recommended during breaks.
Students received a PSAT/ NMSQT Student Guide in Advisory a couple of weeks ago. We recommend students review that booklet or view this information online at https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org. Important information is given in this booklet such as the reminder that there is no penalty for guessing, and students are encouraged to give their best answer to every question.
If you have any questions prior to the PSAT testing date, please contact Gina Churchill, the PSAT Coordinator.
Senior Class Training, Wednesday, October 16
On October 16, we are excited to be able to provide our senior class with training, from a Biblical worldview, for engaging others in difficult conversations about issues in our culture. We believe this training is consistent with our commitment to College Readiness as well as to building a Kingdom Community. The training will focus on holding fast to Biblical truth when interacting with people who hold different views. Karen Jones, from Sacred Leadership Solutions, will be on campus to engage our seniors in a workshop.
This workshop for the senior class will take place from 9:00 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., concurrent with our all-school testing for other students. This half-day of school will offer benefits equivalent to a conference where intense learning takes place in a compacted time. We are excited about the unique opportunity this workshop will provide for our senior class in helping them to develop as Christian leaders and influencers.
It’s that time of year again for student/teacher conferences, and this is a very important part of our partnership with you as parents. In order to make the scheduling process easier for you, it will take place online beginning Tuesday, October 15 at noon, and ending Friday, October 18 at 11:59 p.m. Parents will schedule conferences online through MyConferenceTime.com. This allows parents to schedule and manage their own conference times. Please email Gina Churchill if you have any questions regarding this process.
Fall Musical: Little Shop of Horrors
We are excited to announce our Fall Musical! Academy Theatre is proud to present Little Shop of Horrors, a modern-day parable about the human condition, complete with Motown style music, an enormous man-eating plant, and quirky characters that remind us why we need a Savior. The performances, which will be in the white Alumni Chapel, are scheduled as follows:
October 31 at 7:00 p.m.
November 1 at 7:00 p.m.
November 2 at 7:00 p.m.
Little Shop of Horrors Ticket Sale Information and Policies
- Tickets for the general public may be purchased beginning Wednesday, October 16, with a credit card online for $10 a seat. All seating for Little Shop of Horrors is general admission; there will be no assigned seating.
- To purchase tickets, go to the Wheaton Academy website, wheatonacademy.org, and follow the link to Little Shop of Horrors ticket sales. Follow the prompts to purchase tickets for each performance you would like to attend.
- Tickets can also be purchased on the evening of a performance with cash/check only if there are remaining tickets available.
- Tickets may be purchased online until 3:00 p.m. on the day of the performance. After that point, all ticket sales will take place at Will Call, which will open each performance night at 6:30 p.m.
- Purchased tickets can be held for pick-up at Will Call on the nights of the show or can be printed at home (online ticket sales). However, no tickets can be held without being paid for in full.
- Once tickets are purchased, they may be exchanged for a different performance (if seats are available) at no charge, but we are unable to offer refunds.
- Seating for performances will begin 30 minutes prior to the start of each show. Once the performance has begun, seating will only occur at rare intervals because our cast use the aisles during the show.
- The best and quickest way to get questions answered is to email: email@example.com.
- If you have any special seating needs (wheelchairs, sight or hearing impairments, etc.), please let us know when purchasing your tickets so that we are able to do our best to accommodate your needs.
Admissions Events and Updates
We are excited to announce that the 2020-2021 application season has begun! The Admissions Office is hosting two events this fall to showcase our school: Future Family Night (THIS Thursday, October 17, from 7:00 -9:00 p.m.) and Co-Curricular Night (Tuesday, November 5 from 7:00-8:30 p.m.). Click here to learn about each event. Registration is required and can be completed online. Please help us spread the word!
Additionally, applications for the 2020-2021 school year are open online. (https://wheatonacademy.org/admissions/apply/how-to-apply/)
If you have any questions, please reach out to Amy Burdett or Brittany Klenke in the Admissions Office: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Winterim Internship program is a unique opportunity for students to get hands-on experience in a workplace setting. All students interested in doing an internship during Winterim need to review the requirements and fill out the application that can be found on the WA website under the Winterim Tab. The deadline to submit your application is November 1st. If you have any questions, please see Miss Davona Reynolds in the library.
AP Exam Registration
Please note that due to changes in the College Board’s AP Registration process, AP exams must now be ordered in the fall. Students were given a join code by their AP teachers to access important information, practice exams, and to register for their AP test(s) on the College Board website. Students that joined the class were automatically registered to take the test unless they indicated otherwise. Students that have not joined a class on the College Board website should do so ASAP, by getting the join code from their teachers. Students who are interested in taking the AP exam, but are not enrolled in the class should see Ms. Reynolds. The deadline for test registration is November 1, 2019. This deadline is for registration only, and no money is currently due. The deadline for payment for the AP exams is February 3, 2020. Please use the following link to pay for your AP Exams. A late fee of$ 25 will be assessed for exams paid for after the February 3 deadline. Furthermore, there will be a $40 College Board fee for all exams canceled after the November 1 deadline, regardless if they were paid for or not. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Davona Reynolds, the AP Exam Coordinator.
There are no new athletic announcements at this time.