May 29, 2020
Friday, May 29
Video Premiere at 7:00 p.m.
https://youtu.be/7sMtWGGujLcPlease join us via video on the Wheaton Academy YouTube channel for a worship service where we will pray for and commission our seniors as they start new chapters in their lives.
Sunday, May 31
Video Premiere at 7:00 p.m.
https://youtu.be/XxuwJmrjsskWe want to mark this important day that graduation was supposed to take place, as it signifies the end of a significant chapter in the lives of our students. Please join us on the Wheaton Academy YouTube channel as we pay tribute to our seniors.
Saturday, August 1
Date and Location TBD!
A Message from the Principal
Today is our last day of school – finals are complete, and our 2019-2020 school year has come to a close. I want to thank you as students and families for your support throughout the last nine weeks. This was not the way we wanted to finish this school year – in any way at all, yet our community – our teachers, staff, and students have risen up. The mission of Wheaton Academy has been accomplished this year, albeit in a way I could have never imagined.
Our students have grown this year, and in these last nine weeks, many have been stretched in significant ways. God has used circumstances to develop their faith and character. Students and teachers have continued to build relationships. They have supported, encouraged, and walked alongside each other. Our students and teachers have achieved excellence – excellence is defined as doing one’s best – and in these last nine weeks, each and every student has done their best even though that has looked different for all of us. They have continued to learn and meet rigorous academic standards. Our students and teachers have served so well. Reaching out to medical personnel, making PPE equipment, blessing Windsor residents with beautiful music, donating shoes – the list goes on and on. Finally, and most importantly, the purpose of all of this is that God would be glorified, and I believe He has been as we have offered this year to Him – to spread the Gospel and to be ambassadors of His saving and transforming work in our lives.
We are excited for our Summer Academy, where over 360 students will take classes in June and look forward to a great three weeks of learning.
And we are already preparing to be together in August. We continue to study, examine, and take steps to come back together next year, keeping the health and well-being of our students and faculty as a priority. I cannot express how excited I am to have students back together on campus, together at Wheaton Academy.
For now, my thoughts are best expressed by Paul’s words in Philippians:
I thank my God every time I remember you because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it unto completion.
Thank you for an unforgettable 2019-2020 school year – Kori Hockett
End of the Year Book Return/Locker Clean-out
Below are the assigned days for students to return to school and complete the various tasks for clean-out. If you have multiple siblings in your family, please bring both/all siblings on the oldest sibling’s assigned day. For example, if you have a junior and freshman student, both should come on Monday, June 1.
- Monday, June 1 – Juniors (class of 2021)
- Tuesday, June 2 – Sophomores (class of 2022)
- Wednesday, June 3 – Freshman (class of 2023)
- Thursday, June 4 – Incoming Freshman (class of 2024) and transfers Surface Pick-Up Day
All Activities need to be completed between 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on assigned days above. Complete the activities that pertain to your student:
- Book Rental Returns (bundles only) – Commons
- Pick up prescription meds, PRN meds, EpiPens, Diabetic supplies, etc. – Commons. If medications are not picked up during this time, families should contact Rachel Austin, or the medicine will be properly disposed of over the summer.
- Academic Locker clean-out – Locker Items have been placed in bags labeled with locker numbers on the first floor and in the Library
- Return tux, Return Music, clean out music locker, return borrowed instruments – FAC bandroom – use side door entrance by cube
- Athletic Locker clean-out – Fieldhouse – entry at office door only
- Ceramics picked up – FAC – side door entrance by cube
- Visual Art picked up – FAC – side door entrance by cube
Please note that based on the ISBE recommendations with social distancing, Wheaton Academy has determined the following guidelines for student presence on campus to return/collect items:
- We will allow for a limited number of individuals to enter buildings to gather their personal belongings at any given time. Only the student will be allowed entry.
- We ask that parents who arrive to assist students remain in their vehicle until the student brings their items outside to be loaded into their vehicle. If one-on-one assistance is necessary, only one guest may accompany students into the building.
- Parents/students should park in the parking lots, and students only should line up outside of commons covered sidewalk. Students will be permitted to enter by Mr. Holtrop to ensure only a certain number of people are in the building at one time.
- Students entering any Wheaton Academy facility need to wear a face mask/covering. All staff will wear face coverings while in the building as well.
- Hand sanitizer will be made available in school buildings for staff and students.
Book Returns May Be Completed at Home
To speed the process, you may return your book bundles from the comfort of your home. Please click here for a detailed instruction sheet on how to do this and ship the books free of charge. If you choose this option, seniors will still need to return their Surfaces on May 26, and all students will need to pick up their lockers items (if they left items in their lockers) on the day assigned for their class – however, this would limit the amount of time needed to be in the school.
WA Service Team Sign-Ups
The Sign-Up link for the WA 2020-2021 Service Team is now live. You may click here to access it. We encourage students and families to sign up early. Contact Jim Holtrop at email@example.com if you have any questions. To read additional information regarding the WA Service Teams, click here.
Due to concerns about the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), and under the current direction of Governor Pritzker and his executive order, in conjunction with the IHSA’s suspension of all summer contact days, we have suspended all summer activities at this time. This includes all summer camps for high school and youth camps. Please click here for more details.