May 22, 2020
Academy Theatre Radio Hour
Friday, May 22
Even if you can’t be together over Memorial Day weekend, you can gather your family together to listen to the Academy Theatre Radio Hour, a brand new radio theatre show, which will make its debut over the holiday weekend with entertainment for the whole family! Friday, May 22, at 7:00 p.m., they will release The Pandemic Productions, a series of five vintage radio shows brought to you by the Advanced Drama Class of 2020, a group of student actors who wouldn’t let a pandemic stop them from making good drama. Listen to The Adventures of Superman, Little Women, Casey at the Bat, The Saint: The Robin Hood of Modern Crime, and Agatha Christie’s The Case of the Missing Client. You won’t want to miss this exciting new Academy Theatre event!
Important Information for Seniors and Families
Tuesday, May 26
Parents of seniors, please remind your senior student to return their Surface Pro 6, pen, charger, and case on Tuesday, May 26, when they come to campus to return books, etc. (see book return/locker clean-out instructions below). Please remind them to move any files they want to keep to removable media such as a USB flash drive or cloud storage such as google drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive. All Surface Pro 6 will be completely reimaged, and no data will be retained. Congratulations to your family from the WA I.T. Department!
Friday, May 29
Video Premiere at 7:00 p.m.
Please join us via video on the Wheaton Academy YouTube channel for a worship service where we will pray for and commission our seniors as they start new chapters in their lives.
Sunday, May 31
Video Premiere at 7:00 p.m.
We want to mark this important day that graduation was supposed to take place, as it signifies the end of a significant chapter in the lives of our students. Please join us on the Wheaton Academy YouTube channel as we pay tribute to our seniors.
Saturday, August 1
Date and Location TBD!
A Message from the Principal
This is a big day. For our senior class, it is their last day of high school, and for the rest of the student body, they have come to the end of the year with only finals left to do next week. I feel like I am on repeat when I say, “I could have never imagined the Spring of 2020 would look like this.” And while I would have never imagined the challenges we have overcome during these last eight weeks, I am also so grateful for the things we have found, the victories we have won, and the provision we have seen from God.
Ephesians 3:16-20 says: I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen.
As this year comes to a close, I know we have seen the Lord do so much more than we could have ever imagined in the lives of our students, faculty, staff, and our Wheaton Academy community as a whole. I am praying that as we move into the summer, we would be reminded in new ways that the love of God is more amazing than we can understand and that because of Christ, we would continue to allow Him to work in and through us. Today is a finish line of sorts, and as we have finished this leg of a long race, I am grateful for our community, proud of our students and teachers, and praising God for his goodness. Blessings to you this Memorial Day weekend
– Kori Hockett
End of the Year: Book Return, Locker & Athletic Locker Cleanout, Choir/Band Uniform Returns, Artwork Pick-up, Medication Pick-up, and Surface Drop-off for Seniors
Parents, please note that based on the ISBE recommendations with social distancing, Wheaton Academy has determined the following guidelines for student presence on campus to return/collect items:
- We will allow for a limited number of individuals to enter buildings to gather their personal belongings at any given time. Only the student will be allowed entry.
- We ask that parents who arrive to assist students remain in their vehicle until the student brings their items outside to be loaded into their vehicle. If one-on-one assistance is necessary, only one guest may accompany students into the building.
- Parents/students should park in the parking lots, and students only should line up outside of commons covered sidewalk. Students will be permitted to enter by Mr. Holtrop to ensure only a certain number of people are in the building at one time.
- Students entering any Wheaton Academy facility need to wear a face mask/covering. All staff will wear face coverings while in the building as well.
- Hand sanitizer will be made available in school buildings for staff and students.
Below are the assigned days for students. If you have multiple siblings in your family, please bring both/all siblings on the oldest sibling’s assigned day. For example, if you have a junior and freshman student, both should come on Monday, June 1.
- Tuesday, May 26 – Seniors (class of 2020)
- Monday, June 1 – Juniors (class of 2021)
- Tuesday, June 2 – Sophomores (class of 2022)
- Wednesday, June 3 – Freshman (class of 2023)
- Thursday, June 4 – Incoming Freshman (class of 2024) and transfers Surface Pick-Up Day
All Activities need to be completed between 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on assigned days above. Complete the activities that pertain to your student:
- Book Rental Returns (bundles only) – Commons
- Academic Locker clean-out – Locker Items have been placed in bags labeled with locker numbers in the Library
- Surface return days for seniors – Commons
- Choir uniform return for seniors only – Commons
- Return tux, Return Music, clean out music locker, return borrowed instruments – FAC bandroom
- Athletic Locker clean-out – Fieldhouse – entry at office door only
- Ceramics picked up – FAC – side door entrance by cube
- Visual Art picked up – FAC – side door entrance by cube
- Pick up prescription meds, PRN meds, EpiPens, Diabetic supplies, etc. – Commons. If medications are not picked up during this time, families should contact Rachel Austin, or the medicine will be properly disposed of over the summer.
Book Returns May Be Completed at Home
To speed the process, you may return your book bundles from the comfort of your home. Please click here for a detailed instruction sheet on how to do this and ship the books free of charge. If you choose this option, seniors will still need to return their Surfaces on May 26, and all students will need to pick up their lockers items (if they left items in their lockers) on the day assigned for their class – however, this would limit the amount of time needed to be in the school.
WA Service Team Sign-Ups
The Sign-Up link for the WA 2020-2021 Service Team is now live. You may click here to access it. We encourage students and families to sign up early. Contact Jim Holtrop at email@example.com if you have any questions. To read additional information regarding the WA Service Teams, click here.
Due to concerns about the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), and under the current direction of Governor Pritzker and his executive order, in conjunction with the IHSA’s suspension of all summer contact days, we have suspended all summer activities at this time. This includes all summer camps for high school and youth camps. Please click here for more details.