May 1, 2020
WA HOMESTAYING WEEK
May 4-9, 2020
We hope you enjoyed our Escape Room weekend, and plans are being made for Escape Room #2. We are very excited about our upcoming Homestaying Week, May 4-9. We have many activities planned for students and families. The winning class will receive a Jamba Juice day in the fall. If seniors win, a date will be determined. Please see the information below for date and details:HomeStaying Info and Details
Best dressed student each day will get a $50.00 Chipotle gift card. Winners determined by creativity and originality, using items in the house. Students are to submit one picture of themselves to email@example.com by 2:00 p.m. each day. Must include name and grade.
Monday May 4: May the Fourth be with you. (Star Wars Day)
Send in your best “Force be with You” action shots.
Tuesday May 5: Clash Day
Send a picture in your craziest outfit. Extra points if your background is crazy as well! Extra points for craziest pose!
Wednesday May 6: Zoom Group Day
Send a picture of your zoom screen with your favorite ensemble—it could be a movie theme, TV theme, animals, etc. (any themed group). Get your family members to join you! Extra points if it is with your advisory group.
Thursday May 7: Throwback Thursday
Send in a picture of your childhood and a picture of a reenactment today. Extra points if family members are in pictures too!
Friday May 8: Meme You Day
Send original memes of your day’s activities.
Wednesday, May 6: Service Project for GoMinistries: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Drop off gently used shoes/cleats for the DR.
Class containers will be set up in the circle drop off, and shoes can be “tossed” into them as you drive by. The class with most shoes will win the competition.
Thursday, May 7: Kahoot Trivia Night: 8:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Watch onCampus for information.
Friday, May 8: Scavenger Hunt
Participate in class Scavenger hunt during the hours 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Class with the most points wins. Watch onCampus for information.
Saturday, May 9: Escape room Version 2 for all the WA community. Details coming next week
Online WA Parent Gathering
Tuesday, May 5, at 7:00 p.m.
These are extraordinary times for our families and our students. As parents, we have new opportunities and new challenges. How can we use this time to strengthen our faith and family relationships? Wheaton Academy invites you to a zoom online parent gathering with Dr. Rob and Amy Rienow on Tuesday, May 5, from 7:00-8:00 p.m. Rob and Amy have two WA graduates, and two current students. They are the founders of Visionary Family Ministries, have authored several books on family relationships, and lead parenting conferences nationally and internationally. At this informal online gathering, Rob and Amy will share what the Lord is teaching them during this unusual time and share biblical and practical ways we can point our students toward the Lord. There will also be plenty of time for Q and A. You can join this call via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85407676238 (Meeting ID: 854 0767 6238) at the scheduled time above. It will also broadcast live on Facebook: www.facebook.com/visionaryfam
A Message from the Principal
The calendar has turned to May, and with it, hopefully, nicer weather. Each morning I go for a walk, and lately, I have been enjoying the buds on the trees, reminding me of the new life that comes each spring. This reminded me of the life and hope we have because of Jesus Christ. My prayer for each of us this weekend is that we might find great hope in Jesus’ words, “I AM the way, the truth, and the life.” Praying you and your student will be able to take time and experience the abundance of life in Christ this weekend. –Kori Hockett
- We are excited for the first Wheaton Academy HomeStaying week next week – keep an eye out for fun ways for students and families to engage with our community in a whole new way. I can’t wait to see who wins!
- I hope that our first “flex” Friday was productive and helpful for students. As we continue with E-learning, please encourage your student to communicate with their teachers and Student Services so that we can continue to help them succeed and meet their needs.
- Please click here for the E-Learning Week 6 Recap.
Updated Book Return Dates, Locker Cleanout, and Surface Drop-Off for Seniors
As was stated last week, we are in the stages of planning, so please note we have updated the following dates. We have scheduled one date for each class to come to WA. Students will clear out lockers, drop-off books (for bundle rentals only), clear out athletic lockers, drop off dry-cleaned choir and band uniforms, drop off Surfaces/Surface pens/Surface chargers (senior class only needs to do this) and pick-up ceramics/artwork. The drop-off location will be the Commons. We will provide very specific instructions with the Illinois State Board of Education guidelines regarding social distancing and entering the school building at a later date. Here are the dates to mark your calendars:
- Tuesday, May 26 – Seniors (class of 2020)
- Monday, June 1 – Juniors (class of 2021)
- Tuesday, June 2 – Sophomores (class of 2022)
- Wednesday, June 3 – Incoming Freshman (class of 2024) and transfers Surface Pick-Up Day
- Thursday, June 4 – Freshman (class of 2023)
A Few Items for Seniors:
1. We wanted to remind you about yearbook ads. Without any spring sports or activities, the yearbook, unfortunately, will not be featuring as many photos of our students as planned. So, we are extending the deadline for our senior ads. You may want to consider this ad as a way that you can honor your child during these times. Here is the information: Senior yearbook ads will again be available for purchase for $150 per quarter-page ad. Fees for ads will include a yearbook at no additional cost. If you order a senior ad, you do not need to order a yearbook through the Jostens website. You may click here for an example of what an ad should look like. Please submit ads by May 15by mailing in a check to the school. Checks may be made payable to Wheaton Academy (to the attention of Jim Holtrop).
2. If you have not submitted a senior picture for your student (we are missing 60 senior photos), please submit a headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
3. Seniors need to return their Surface Pro 6 in its case with the pen attached, and the charger clearly labeled with your name. Please return the Surface Pro 6 clean and without any other stickers on it or the case besides the name tag and the serial number sticker – do not remove those. Before you return your Surface Pro 6, please make sure you have copied any files that you wish to retain, either to cloud storage such as Google Drive, OneDrive, or Dropbox, or to removable media such as a flash drive. All data on your Surface Pro 6 will be permanently erased! The return date is May 26 in the Commons.
Winterim Trips 2021
Normally Wheaton Academy announces Winterim trips in April, but due to COVID-19, we have decided to delay the release of trip information until August. When school resumes in August, we will unveil the 2021 trip experiences along with application information.
Yearbook Order Deadline is May 15!
WA yearbooks are for sale again this year for last year’s price of $25.00 each. Your 2019-2020 yearbook is now available for purchase at www.jostensyearbooks.com. Go to the Yearbooks dropdown to find “Buy your Yearbook,” then search Wheaton Academy to finish your purchase. They will only be for sale through the website. We do not want you to miss out on receiving a yearbook, so please order yours today! If you do not order via the Jostens link, you will be unable to receive a yearbook next fall. DEADLINE IS MAY 15!
WA Service Team Sign-Ups
The Sign-Up link for the WA 2020-2021 Service Team is now live. You may click here to access it. We encourage students and families to sign up early. Contact Jim Holtrop at email@example.com if you have any questions. To read additional information regarding the WA Service Teams, click here.
There are no new announcements at this time.