March 27, 2020
A Message from the Principal
The past two weeks have been far different than I could have ever imagined. For each of our students, families, faculty, and staff, we have experienced ups and downs, and a whole host of emotions as we navigate this global crisis. Here are a few pieces of information for you as we head into Spring Break next week:
- While there will be no academic instruction and teachers will be observing Spring Break, as we walk through these circumstances, students will have a variety of reactions, including stress, anxiety, fear, and other negative emotions. Wheaton Academy’s Student Services team is available and continuing to reach out to and help support students even during the upcoming Break. They are committed to helping you and your student if there is a need in the upcoming week and have created a resource packet for Spring Break you may view by clicking here. If you need to reach one of our staff members you can email:
- Hollee Ball (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Erin Carwell (email@example.com)
- Gina Churchill (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Kermit Ellison (email@example.com)
- Bart Gregersen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- At this point, we have not been made aware of any cases of COVID-19 in the Wheaton Academy community. We are very thankful for this. Moving forward, should your student get sick, we want to encourage you to follow the protocols set out by the CDC and the DuPage County Health Department.
- We will continue our current E-learning format on April 6-7. At this point, we do not know what steps will be taken moving forward. We are following the directives of local, state, and national officials. As we gain more information, we will let you know about what will happen after April 6-7.
- Many of you have been in communication with teachers, staff members, and our administrative team. We are so grateful for your partnership and communication. After spring break, we will be sending out a short survey to get feedback on the E-learning experience. In the meantime, please continue to reach out if you have questions, ideas, or concerns.
- Here is a link to our E-learning update page. This includes our chapels, video messages, WAtv episodes, the virtual coffee house, and various looks into what is happening in classes at Wheaton Academy during this time.
- During this season of uncertainty, we want to stay connected through prayer. On this page, you can share your prayer requests with our community. Others can see your requests and will pray for you. Let’s lift one another up in prayer!
While I don’t want to sound like a broken record, I am so thankful for the Wheaton Academy community. In hard and challenging times, character is so often revealed. During these two weeks, I have seen our students and teachers care for one another, hold each other accountable, push each other to excellence, demonstrate incredible creativity, seek God, serve others, and work so hard to continue their learning. These moments have been such an encouragement to me, and I am so thankful for how we have come together to do very hard things. I want to leave you with Romans 15:13, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Remember, we have something far better than optimism or positive thoughts. We have a hope in Jesus Christ that is unfailing and sure. I trust that His hope will bring you the peace and joy you need today and in the upcoming week.
Stay Connected through Wheaton Academy Social Media
A great way to stay connected to the school is to subscribe to our social media platforms. You can watch chapel, waTV segments, or see messages from our principal. To subscribe to these channels, you may go to the following links:
Health Office Update
We are praying that you and your family are staying well during this time! We want to continue to support our WA community and are available by email to answer any health-related questions or concerns you may have.
If any member of your household receives a positive COVID-19 diagnosis, please report this to our nurses by sending an email to email@example.com. This information will be used to monitor the spread of COVID-19 within our community and will be kept as confidential medical information.
We encourage families to continue referring to the following websites for the most current, factual information regarding COVID-19:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
- DuPage County Health Department
We are so thankful for the hope that we have in Christ during this uncertain time! We are praying for you! Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.
Rachel Austin, RN
Julie Grant, RN
Wheaton Academy Tutoring Center – Help Available
The Wheaton Academy Tutoring Center tutors are busy helping students with their e-learning via FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, etc. If you would like more information on how to get help for your student, please go to wa-tutoring.org.
WA Service Team Sign-Ups
The Sign-Up link for the WA 2020-2021 Service Team is now live. You may click here to access it. We encourage students and families to sign up early. Contact Jim Holtrop at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. To read additional information regarding the WA Service Teams, click here.
Order Your Yearbook Now!
WA yearbooks are for sale again this year for last year’s price of $25.00 each. Your 2019-2020 yearbook is now available for purchase at www.jostensyearbooks.com. Go to the Yearbooks dropdown to find “Buy your Yearbook,” then search Wheaton Academy to finish your purchase. They will only be for sale through the website. We do not want you to miss out on receiving a yearbook, so please order yours today! If you do not order via the Jostens link, you will be unable to receive a yearbook next fall.
April ACT Update
Students who were registered to take the April 4th ACT will need to log into their ACT accounts and move their registration to an available test center for the June or July national testing dates.
There are no new announcements at this time.